The Office of Research Development (ORD) works with faculty and staff to creatively develop and secure new funding opportunities, increase competitiveness for sponsored research, engage with sponsors (federal and state), support and enable faculty research leaders, and help to build grantsmanship capabilities campus-wide. Click here for our Research Development 百姓彩票网 one-pager.
Activities fall into four main areas: grantsmanship consulting and capacity building programs; large-scale proposal consultation and coordination; internal grant programs administration; and strategic research development initiatives as described below, along with the ORD staff and their areas of responsibility.
Research Development Support
1. Grantsmanship Training and Resources
- Training on various aspects of grantsmanship, led by ORD staff. See Workshops listings.
- Information sessions on internal funding opportunities offered by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Engagement. See list of Internal Funding Opportunities.
- Training, resources and consultation on developing Broader Impacts projects for National Science Foundation and other sponsor proposals.
Training and resources for developing NSF CAREER proposals and consultation on developing the Education Plan section.
2. Large-scale Proposal Consultation and Coordination
- Scouting, agency outreach, networking, strategic development
- State cost-sharing commitments
- Government relations (state, federal, agency) coordination
- Technical writing and editing
- Collaboration and coordination across Research and Engagement units: UMass Innovation Institute, the Office of Pre-Award 百姓彩票网, and the Office of Post Award Management)
- Investigator-initiated workshops for early planning/development of potential large-scale proposal opportunities
- Additional information about ORD services for large-scale/complex proposals
3. Internal Funding Opportunities and Limited Submissions
The campus offers a range of internal grant programs
The Office of Research and Engagement administers some of these, including the following programs:
- Limited Submissions
- Faculty Research/Healey Endowment Grant
- Public Service Endowment Grant
- Armstrong Fund for Science
- Subvention Program
- ORD Investigator-Initiated Workshops Program
4. Strategic Research Development Initiatives
The ORD team works to build research capactity in key strategic areas. Past examples include:
- MLSC Proposal for the Institute for Applied Life Sciences (IALS)
- Clean Energy Report
- Research Analytics/Research Networking tools
- Research development strategic planning
Collaborations Across Campus Units
In addition to working closely on research development strategic planning and direct proposal development support with other Research and Engagement units (UMass Innovation Institute, Research Business Managers Network, Office of Grants and Contracts Administration, and the Technology Transfer Office), ORD works with University Relations, Development and Alumni Relations, Corporate and Foundation Relations, Office of Institutional Research, Institute for Teaching and Excellence in Faculty Development, and academic units via college Associate Deans for Research and Center and Institute Directors to advance the campus research mission.
Worldwide Universities Network - The University has also been an active member of the Worldwide Universities Network (WUN) since 2015. The WUN is a global higher education and research network of 23 universities across six continents. Faculty from WUN member institutions are engaged in over 80 active research initiatives, which address some of the world’s most urgent challenges, involving more than 2,000 researchers and students in a diverse range of collaborative projects. Learn more.
ORD offers several faculty oriented workshops. Click here for more info.
Loren Walker, M.S., loren@research., 577-3725
Large-scale proposal development, strategic research development initiatives, research networking, research analytics.
Mary Fechner, Ph.D., mfechner@research., 545-4893
Proposal Development Specialist
Proposal development, faculty research development programs, grantsmanship training and outreach.
Michelle Wonsey, B.S., mwonsey@, 577-3726
Program coordination, office management, and general research development inquiries.
Please note: All proposals for sponsored projects must be submitted through the Office of Pre Award 百姓彩票网 (OPAS). See OPAS staff contacts by program area.